- What grade do you teach and how long have you been teaching at MMA?
I teach 1st/2nd grade and have been teaching here for 4 years.
- What made you choose MMA?
I love the small school setting that MMA offers, and was intrigued by working in a Montessori setting.
- How do you build a family-like atmosphere in your classroom?
We start each day with a morning meeting which allows me to get to know the students on a more personal level. Students are also able to build relationships with one another. The classroom environment allows for students to move freely and take ownership of all materials and space as well which gives a family-like atmosphere, too!
- What’s your secret ingredient in your classroom? What techniques do you use that students really gravitate toward?
Consistency has always been my secret ingredient. My students always know what to expect on any given day. It has always allowed for me and my students to work so well together. My students love to move so I have always allowed techniques that get the kids up and moving to help keep them focused and engaged.
- How are creativity and innovative thinking used on a daily basis in your classroom?
Giving students the ownership to work and learn in a way that is best for them has helped with creativity in the classroom. Our daily conversations and ways of problem-solving allow for innovative thinking to go on as well. I think students take pride in figuring out situations on their own so that has allowed us to get creative and innovative.
- What do you think students would say about you?
I think students would say that I care a great deal about them and their education and that I am supportive of them.